If you have bought a new PC in the last couple of years with Windows 8 pre-installed and are looking to take advantage of Microsoft’s offer to upgrade to Windows 10 for free, we strongly recommend you back everything up before upgrading your O.S.
Method 1 – Microsoft VB Script.
- To use this option simply download the file 22251.zip from the download button.
- Once downloaded, open up the folder structure to find a file called ‘BackupWindows8Key’ and double click it. ( You may see a security warning – just click ‘OK’ to continue)
- You will then see a dialog box like the one below, you can now simply make a note of your product key, or save to a text file to store somewhere safe or print out.
Method 2 – ProduKey by Nirsoft
- Firstly head over to http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html and scroll to the bottom of the screen where you will find links to download the ProduKey utility – make sure you download the right version, the standard is 32-bit, but if you are running 64-bit then you will need the 64-bit specific version.
- Once you have the folder downloaded, open it up and look for a file called ProduKey.exe.
- Double click the file and you will quickly see the screen below showing both your product key for Windows 8, and also the keys for any other Microsoft products you have installed.