Warning – following the instructions in this article could could seriously compromise the security of your PC, only use these instructions if you are sure of what you are doing.
Windows 8 is the most secure version of Windows yet, and one of the things it forces people to do is to log in to either their Microsoft Account or a local user account before you can do anything. However, if you don’t share your computer with anyone and are confident that you are the only person with access to the PC then it is possible to configure Windows to bypass the Windows 8 Log-In screen.
- At the Start Screen press the Windows key + X
- Click ‘Run‘ and type netplwiz
- Click ‘OK‘ and highlight your user account.
- Untick the box marked ‘Users must enter a username and password to use this computer‘
- Click ‘Apply‘.
- You will be asked for your password to confirm.
- Click ‘OK‘ and Reboot the computer.
Now when Windows starts it will log you in and go either straight to the desktop or Start Screen depending on how you have configured your system.